Translate

Thursday 12 October 2017

Dark October Update

As you know I've chosen a number of spooky projects to stitch for Dark October this month.  I started with the People's Choice of Just Nan's Haunted Autumn Mouse in a House and posted about it here.

I have continued to stitch 30-a-day on the carpet for the house and here's where we are today:


By the time I started Mouse House, Jardin Prive's Happy Hallowe'en Night had actually overtaken it in votes so that was an obvious second start.  I set a goal of completing the three pumpkins and stitched for three days to achieve that goal:

stitched on 32 count Cognac linen

The whole piece:


After 3 days on that one, I moved on to JBW's Smiling Jack-O-Lanterns.  I stitched all the border while watching Total Recall on Sunday afternoon:

stitched on 32count Platinum linen

There's not much to do on that one; lots of flowers in the border, her hair, the words around the inside of the border and a few finishing touches and it will be done.


The next project up has only had one day so far.  This is Cast Your Spell by Stacy Nash.  I have a question, there are only three colours.  A dull brown, an orange brown and black.  Looking at this portion of the chart, which colour would you stitch the border in?


Black?  The symbol for black is always the darkest symbol, right?  No, the symbol for black on this chart is the white triangle.

Never mind, my border is black.

stitched over 1 on 32 count Platinum linen

I am stitching the border in satin stitch rather than cross stitch because I like a zigzag satin stitch.  I also substituted the orange-brown for a more red-brown.  I will probably do the vase in 3799 to contrast with the black border.  Three more days might see me knock out a finish on this.  Especially as we have the weekend coming up and no work shifts.


Finally, it's time to sign up for the Spookiest Hop on the Block - the Trick or Treat Hallowe'en Blog Hop.  All you have to do is leave a comment or send me an email.  I will send you a letter of the alphabet which you show on your blog on 31st October along with some spooky stitching.  We all hop around collecting the letters which will spell out a spooky word or phrase (depending on how many people sign up).



20 comments:

Beth in IL said...

Good choice on your border! I think the black looks great. And you have been busy. I don't dare start another project although I have ONE Halloween project that I would LOVE to do.

Laura said...

Love these Halloween pieces. I have never been a Halloween stitcher but seeing everyone's this year, is making me want to join.

Our photos said...

Lovely is your Dark October.

Linda said...

Love all of your starts Jo.

Linda

Barb said...

I was thinking black for the border! I guess great minds think alike!! Love seeing all the Halloween designs!

Leonore Winterer said...

That's quite a nice collection of spooky stitching! Boo about that confusing pattern though. The border will be just as pretty in black!

RJ said...

I love all of your Halloween stitching Jo especially the witch. Did you mention the name of that pattern? She is the cutest! I too like black for the border...wonderful choice. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Sally said...

Lots of super spooky pieces there Jo. I like the border in black and think I'd have done the same.

Desiree Ehleiter said...

Love your Halloween stitching. As always I am amazed at the number of projects you have going and can keep track of. Halloween in my favorite holiday and I still haven't even started a Halloween themed project. I'm ashamed of myself! LOL

Julie said...

I like your version of the border.

butterfly said...

What a great post of Halloween stitching , love them all.

Carol said...

What fun Halloween stitches, Jo! Yes, definitely black for the border--good choice :)

CJ said...

Your Halloween stitching is so fun. I really enjoy your Blogger of the Week post. Thanks.

Christine said...

I like the black border, it has the look of an antique picture frame.
The very important question however is Arnie or Colin Farrell?

Lili said...

Beautiful projects!
Love your Stacy Nash piece, I really like the orange on the border, but your choice on black looks very good! Waiting for see your progress.

OhSewCrafty said...

Lovely start on the Jardin Prive and the JBW is so cute! I like black for the border, too.

Brigitte said...

I also love satin stitch borders. Nice choice. And great Halloween stitching so far. And you can still continue stitching on your Halloween projects until the end of the month ...

Kerryp77 said...

Love the change up to satin stitch on the border. I would think the same about the chart symbols.

Katie said...

Beautiful stitching indeed. I'm pretty sure I'm already signed up for the blog hop. If not please include me.

Bethan said...

Some really great stitching! Is stitching on linen very different to stitching on aida? I'm tempted to give it a try at some point x